Sessional & Trainee GPs
Sessional GP Sub Committee represents:
- Salaried GPs (full and part time)
- Locum/Freelance GPs
- GP Retainers
- Flexible Career Schemes (FCS) Doctors
- GP Returners
- GP Trainees
Bro Taf LMC covers Cardiff, Merthyr Tydfil, Rhondda Cynon Taff and the Vale of Glamorgan and represents over 600 GPs in the area. The Committee has elected and co-opted members (see the "who's who" section for full details). Represented sessional GPs can get elected on to the Committee via the constituency seats, but we also for the time being have two designated co-opted sessional GP seats.
How the LMC works for sessional GPs, locum GPs and trainee GPs
- give you regular updates on local and national issues through newsletters and direct e-mailings;
- give advice and support to individual sessional GPs;
- provide guidance on employment contracts;
- help ensure fair play between employers and sessional GPs;
- advise on appraisal and revalidation;
- support any sessional GP with professional difficulties (eg complaints and performance issues).
Please note: The LMC is not a Trade Union and cannot operate as a Trade Union. The LMC can support GPs in a dispute, but cannot intervene in disputes or force parties concerned to comply with advice given. The BMA is the doctors' Trade Union, and can give expert advice to BMA Members and can intervene formally in disputes on behalf of a BMA Members or Members. However, the BMA cannot give individual legal or financial advice.
Members of the Bro Taf Sessional GP Sub Committee:
Dr Bethan Roberts, Chair (Sessional GP)
Dr Avkash Jain, Vice Chair
Dr Bhupa Patel
Dr Alexis Manning
Dr Kay Saunders
Dr Victoria O'Toole (Cwm Taf Trainee GP)
- BMA Salaried GP Handbook (membership required)
- BMA Locum GP Handbook (membership required)
Useful guidance documents and links:
Known sessional GP and CPD groups in South Wales
- BMA guidance 'How to set up an develop a sessional GP group' (January 2012)
- Facebook group for discussion of locum issues, CPD and anonymised cases. Associated website for finding work.
- Tiko's GP group - useful online forum on facebook for discussing work or clinical (anonymised and with consent for photos)
- Abergavenny CPD group - email@example.com